For many young people, participating in the Lions Youth Exchange Program is a life-changing experience. Traveling to another country, living with a host family, and experiencing another culture are milestone events.
Every year since 1961, young people have participated in the Lions International Youth Exchange Program. The goal of the program is to create and foster a spirit of understanding among the peoples of the world.
Unlike other exchange programs, the Lions International Youth Exchange Program is not conducted for tourism, education, or employment. Instead, it is a unique cultural learning opportunity. Participants of the Lions International Youth Exchange Program must:
- be between the ages of 15 and 21;
- be sponsored by a Lions club;
- have a basic knowledge of the language of the host country;
- be suitable to represent their community, Lions club, and country;
- be willing to accept the customs of another culture.
- Potential youth exchangees can request local Lions club sponsorship. When multiple requests are received or in the absence of requests, Lions clubs often conduct speech contests, essay writing contests or personal interviews to select youth exchangees.
Exchanges can occur in any of the more than 190 countries in which Lions clubs exist. Most exchanges last between four and six weeks. Often, exchangees also participate in the Lions International Youth Camp Program.
Travel arrangements for exchangees are made between the Lions youth exchange chairpersons in the sponsoring and hosting regions.
The costs of transportation (including actual fares, insurance, airport fees, customs duties, and layover or overnight fees) are the responsibility of the sponsoring Lions club. These costs may be paid by the club from district funds (if available), by the youth, his or her family, are by some combination of these sources.
Food and lodging expenses are the responsibility of the hosting Lions club.
Exchangees are responsible for personal expenses (approximately US$75 per week) such as phone calls home, souvenirs, etc. Exchangees with physical disabilities have successfully participated in the Lions International Youth Exchange Program.
If you are interested in becoming a Lions youth exchangee, begin by contacting our District Chairperson for Youth Exchange.
Name : Lion Shirley Lee
Club : Lions Club of Singapore Central
Tel : 9820 9300
Email : email@example.com
Click here to visit Lions Clubs International’s Youth Exchange Webpage.